kristinleigh: kitten with a moustache :3 (Default)
[personal profile] kristinleigh
picture of Attic members embroidering cards


Sunday I hosted an Attic workshop for people interested in learning to cross-stitch, or people who just wanted to sew on something different than conventional cloth. It was a lot of fun, and we made some pretty cool things!

I'll definitely be doing this again at some point, whether as another workshop with a designated "project" like this one or as a "sewing circle" type thing - the Attic has a whole box of supplies including embroidery floss and canvas for us to keep using. :D

Pictures under the cut! )


Thank you to jetts for taking photos!
kristinleigh: kitten with a moustache :3 (Default)
[personal profile] kristinleigh
As you'll have gathered if you've been reading the posts on this blog over the past couple of weeks, the Attic had a Secret Santa-esque holiday gift exchange! Here are some photos from the creation of my final gift to my recipient, our lovely president:



Read more... )


I also made some origami boxes using this tutorial and embroidered on the tops -



Read more... )


I'd like to keep working on my book-binding and miniature-making (and sewing on paper) skills in the future, so if anyone else would be interested in a workshop where we did a project like these ones together let me know!
kristinleigh: kitten with a moustache :3 (Default)
[personal profile] kristinleigh
My goal this year has been to teach myself to use the scroll saw I bought when I was 12 (long story, awesome parents) - it's been going fairly well, though right now I'm storing it at my family's workshop out in Carnation/Duvall, so I don't get out there to make things as much as I'd like! As the space grows I want to see the Attic become a space where we can do woodshop-y things, but for now I have plenty of other projects better suited to our beautifully-carpeted space. :3

The very first project I did with my scroll saw back in May was a set of small pine bird ornaments:

picture of bird-shaped wooden ornaments


which I then stained using food coloring:

picture of freshly-dyed ornaments drying


and strung into a garland as a gift for my grandmother. I have another set of seahorse ornaments that I still need to stain - I might end up giving them away in exchange for donations to the Attic, or tucking them into holiday cards.

My current big super-intimidating project doesn't look like much right now:

picture of partially-completed fretwork for the side of a wooden box


This is one side of a 13x13" box I am making for my cubby at the Attic. I started in July and so far have about 3/4 of the first panel finished. It's fun to do something ambitious, though, and it's a great learning experience. I can't wait to have it completed and ready to put to use (and show off :P)!

- Kristin Leigh
Page generated Oct. 18th, 2017 03:50 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios